Pages

Subscribe:

Ads 468x60px

Tuesday 7 August 2012

Chris Hoy Britain's Greatest Olympian

Chris Hoy Britain's Greatest Olympian - Sir Chris Hoy became Britain’s most golden Olympian in sensational style last night.His track cycling victory took Team GB’s gold medal tally to 22 – the most since 1908.Chris Hoy Britain's Greatest Olympian, The 36 year old stormed to a thrilling win in the keirin event before a baying 6,000 crowd in the velodrome.


Another 15million watched on TV as he claimed his sixth Olympic gold – one more than rower Sir Steve Redgrave.

Chants of ‘Hoy, Hoy’ rang out as he punched the air and acknowledged supporters including Prince William and Harry, Princess Anne and Lord Coe.

Shedding tears as the national anthem was played, the Scot said: ‘I’m in shock. You try to compose yourself but it’s surreal.

'I wanted to win gold in front of my home crowd. I saw everyone stepping up to the plate and thankfully it worked out for me, too.

‘I can’t describe the feelings I have at the moment. This is enough for me, this is the perfect end to my Olympic career.’

It was the climax of another incredible day for the home team with four gold medals. The total haul of 22 eclipses the 19 won at Beijing four years ago.

Team GB now has 47 medals of all colours with more guaranteed in the men’s and women’s boxing.

In a few hours of extraordinary drama yesterday, Alistair Brownlee, 24, delivered the first gold in the triathlon in a packed Hyde Park.

His brother Jonny, 22, collapsed from exhaustion after winning the bronze.

Thanking the home fans, Alistair, said: ‘I don’t think I’ve ever come across anything like that, my ears were stinging. It was amazing.’

Soon it was the turn of Laura Bechtolsheimer, Carl Hester and Charlotte Dujardin, who held off a strong challenge from Germany to win the team dressage in the Greenwich Arena.

It was Britain’s first ever dressage gold and came 24 hours after the equestrian team’s victory in the show jumping team.

Attention then switched to the Velodrome where Laura Trott, 20, confirmed her status as the new star of British cycling with a brilliant win in the six-discipline omnium.

It was her second gold of London 2012.

Edinburgh-born Hoy followed up her achievement with his second gold of the Games to add to his one from Athens in 2004 and three from Beijing.

‘I can’t put into words what it means to me. It’s one of the greatest feelings I have ever had,’ he said.

‘The crowd have been absolutely magnificent throughout and the noise they made was deafening – it definitely makes a difference to have that kind of volume of home support and to know how much people are behind us as a team.’

He did several laps of honour to celebrate holding off the rest of the field in the keirin, which starts with a pace-making motorcycle.

Redgrave, who won his golds at five successive Olympics, was in the Velodrome to see his crown taken from him. He gave Hoy a hug and said his win was ‘great’.

'I would have loved to have won in my final race. I’m glad that it’s all done and I can move on.’

The cyclist said he was unlikely to compete at the 2016 Games in Rio de Janeiro but could carry on until the 2014 Commonwealth Games, which are being held in Glasgow.




Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2185016/London-Olympics-2012-Sir-Chris-Hoy-greatest-Olympian-sixth-gold-medal-velodrome.html#ixzz22u9H9oDk